In the summer of 2009, the Pennsylvania Environmental Council (PEC) and Delaware River Waterfront Corporation (DRWC) launched a free kayak program for six weeks in the Penn’s Landing Marina. More than 800 people participated, many of whom had never kayaked before. With such high demand for the program, PEC and DRWC expanded the program in 2010 through a partnership with Skyline Attractions, and with additional funding from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission’s (PFBC) Sportfishing and Aquatic Resource Education Grant, and DuPont Clear Into the Future.
The results from this summer:
- 2,300 families and visitors reached through the program
- 526 kayakers and 1,701 swan boat riders got on the water
- Age range from 12-73 years old with average age of 28 years old
- More than half the participants were from Philadelphia, primarily from Center City, riverfront communities and West Philly
- Nearly 150 Philadelphia Parks and Recreation campers from 12 different Recreation Centers participated
- Remaining participants were visitors representing 20 states and 8 countries represented
PEC also created fact sheets and posters – including a “Fact or Fishy Quiz” – as part of an educational program to reach these boaters and let them know about the river’s ecology and conservation needs.